On Saturday, Jackson and Notre Dame’s track and field teams competed in their respective sectional meets to see which events the teams could qualify for state in.
The Indians traveled down south to Poplar Bluff for the Class 5 Sectional 1 Meet, where the boys team placed fifth overall and qualified for state in five events. Jackson’s girls team took sixth overall and is going to state in a total of four events.
As for the Bulldogs, their boys team finished third in the Class 3 Sectional 1 Meet and is headed to state in 10 events. Notre Dame’s girls team competed in one classification above and took fifth place at sectionals, qualifying for state in seven events.
Jackson’s boys state qualifiers by event:
• 800-meter run: Senior Cole Puls, third place (2:03.26).
• 1600-meter run: Senior Cade McCadams, third place (4:24.43).
• 3200-meter run: Senior Hunter Wendel, first place (9:33.35).
• 4×800-meter relay: Puls, Wendel, McCadams and junior Bryce Gentry, first place (8:03.4).
• Pole vault: Sophomore Mason Turley, third place (13-3).
• Pole vault: Senior Braeden Cain, fourth place (12-3.25).
Jackson girls state qualifiers by event:
• 4×800: Senior Mallorie Metzger, freshman Kali Smith, junior Grace Kurtz and freshman Emma Niedbalski, third place (9:58.92).
• Long jump: Freshman Brooklyn Williams, fourth place (16-8).
• Discus: Senior Lillian Gibbs, first place (124-6).
• Discus: Senior Briaysia Purl, second place (121-9.5).
• Javelin: Gibbs, first place (125-11.75).
Notre Dame’s boys state qualifiers by event:
• 100-meter dash: Junior Jacob Brown, second place (11.18).
• 200-meter dash: Brown, third place (22.71).
• 1600: Senior Mason Morris, fourth place (4:40.72).
• 3200: Morris, third place (10:18.35).
• 300-meter hurdles: Senior Davis Dow, third place (41.78).
• 4×100-meter relay team: Senior Cole Bruenderman, senior Greg Dennis, Dow and Brown, third place (43.15).
• 4×200-meter relay team: Bruenderman, senior Kyle Eftink, Dow and Brown, third place (1:31).
• High jump: Dennis, third place (6-0.75).
• Long jump: Bruenderman, second place (21-6.25).
• Triple jump: Bruenderman, third place (42-8).
Notre Dame’s girls state qualifiers by event:
• 1600: Junior Lauren Eftink, third place (5:15.96).
• 3200: Eftink, third place (11:26.53).
• 300: Sophomore Lily Carr, fourth place (49.45).
• 4×400-meter relay team: Sophomore Courtney Tatum, Eftink, Carr and senior Jenna Givens, fourth place (4:14.34).
• Triple jump: Givens, second place (35-5).
• Pole vault: Sophomore Abbie Spooler, first place (10-11.75).
• Pole vault: Senior Katy Turner, fourth place (9-6.25).
• Discus: Junior Emma Duenne, first place (120-5).